Re: [existlist] Re: update & EXISTENTIALIST LIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  • vanessa.vangelder@knowledgeobjects.biz
    Message 1 of 53 , Mar 2, 2003
      I am not sure what you mean by "missing the point" ...

      -> the point for me is not all men, but it is men that are in those
      position making decisions and the men who might not be in a position of
      power certainly aren't doing anything to change it either..

      I am looking at the larger picture. This word "patriarchy" is being thrown
      around without looking at the present situation for which women are coming
      into their own. In a previous post you mentioned that in TV commercials
      only men are shown in positions of authority. That may be true for TV
      commercials, but in reality, women are making large strides in gaining
      these positions. That is not to say that there isnt a need for further
      advancements in this area.

      --------------> i never said TV commericials only for the record. I also
      think i depends on where you are, where are you? maybe for your part of the
      world women are moving up and good for them to get the opporuntity but that
      isn't the bigger picture

      As to the "personally" bit, how else am i to take it?? Would it be
      acceptable, if a woman were to point out a female inequality, and then I
      would simply reply that she is taking it too personally??

      -----------> well i don't know what it feels like to be a man and feel that
      i am inherently bad, i still think tho that it's up to you to decide not to
      be one of those men and then you have no reason to feel that way, it's a
      process that i think could even need therapy!

      Vee

    • vanessa.vangelder@knowledgeobjects.biz
      Message 53 of 53 , Mar 3, 2003
        eduard ... I think you are wrong on this. Many
        men are supporting the advancement of women. The
        world has changed, even in the past 10 years.

        Vee....yes eduard you are right there are a lot of men working towards the
        liberation of women, i think a lot actually offer more lip service to it
        than those actually doing something in my own experience but yes there are
        men working towards it....

        eduard ... I agree. But the changes in the third
        world are just taking a bit more time. There is
        movement in the Islamic countries to eliminate
        restrictions on women. Much of it for practical
        reasons, as was the case in the West.
        -------------> it's a very complex topic as i am sure you are well aware
        and even tho legistlation may be in place to protect women, but you can't
        legislate the way ppl think unfortunately

        eduard ... I dont understand what you are saying.
        Is it your opinion that "I" need therapy??

        --> eduard i think everyone could do with a bit of therapy, don't take it
        personally lol...no i am not saying that you need therapy, but i am saying
        that because men generally aren't very expressive about their inner stuff
        some night need a less subjective avenue to purge, i guess mens groups
        might do the same
        Vee