Re: [existlist] Male Power

  • David Leon
    Message 1 of 53 , Mar 1, 2003
      Lorna,

      I haven't paid much attention to a lot of this line of discussion on the
      group. I dont keep up with "everything" and all. But, you said this at the
      end..

      > The feeling of solidarity between women is still developing, as far as I
      can see, at least in my personal experience. Women are still in competition
      with one another, and that is a hindrance. I think it might be easier for a
      man to identify with another man than it is for women to come together in
      that way.

      And I thought, "Yes, it's funny how we men are still sometimes supposedly
      unable to express or care about our feelings, yet we can actually talk
      better or more openly at times." And I recalled driving down the road
      talking to a girlfriend of mine once..a friend, whatever..a girl, and we
      were talking about girls stabbing each other behind their backs and stuff,
      in high school I guess she was mentioning for a lot of it, and guys just
      kinda getting to a point where they'd be more like "yo! you got a problem?"
      and just have a throwdown or yell at each other or whatever. And at least
      it's just more ..open in one sense..I'm not saying in some complete sense,
      overriding observations of reality, but still. I'm not trying to be sexist.
      But it does seem where I've been that it's a lot easier for a guy to just
      tell a guy what he thinks of him, even, for instance.

      Anyway, I'm off now...

      Dave

      Message 53 of 53 , Mar 3, 2003
        eduard ... I think you are wrong on this. Many
        men are supporting the advancement of women. The
        world has changed, even in the past 10 years.

        Vee....yes eduard you are right there are a lot of men working towards the
        liberation of women, i think a lot actually offer more lip service to it
        than those actually doing something in my own experience but yes there are
        men working towards it....

        eduard ... I agree. But the changes in the third
        world are just taking a bit more time. There is
        movement in the Islamic countries to eliminate
        restrictions on women. Much of it for practical
        reasons, as was the case in the West.
        -------------> it's a very complex topic as i am sure you are well aware
        and even tho legistlation may be in place to protect women, but you can't
        legislate the way ppl think unfortunately

        eduard ... I dont understand what you are saying.
        Is it your opinion that "I" need therapy??

        --> eduard i think everyone could do with a bit of therapy, don't take it
        personally lol...no i am not saying that you need therapy, but i am saying
        that because men generally aren't very expressive about their inner stuff
        some night need a less subjective avenue to purge, i guess mens groups
        might do the same
        Vee