RE: [existlist] Re: Moods

  • Eduard Alf
    Message 1 of 62 , May 3, 2001
      hi Diana et folks,

      i would say that a person is authentic when they are consistent ... worthy
      of trust, reliance, or belief ... authentic means true, not counterfeit ...
      and you cant be true if you are always changing or are not predictable in
      some fashion ... and in a sense, if you cant be authentic to others, then
      you cant be authentic to yourself ...

      to me, a "mood" is different from "emotion", although a mood would contain
      emotion ... it is a state of mind that i would take to be something that
      lasts longer than an emotion ...

      and yes, a person is responsible for their mood ... in the same way as an
      emotion ... control of moods is not an easy thing to do ... the first part
      is to recognize that you are in a mood and then to find some way out of it,
      if it is damaging ... i find the best way is to go to the internet or
      encyclopedia, and at random find something that may be motivating ..
      sometimes a nice walk is a means to a solution ...

      a mood originates in your brain ... in the neurons that are firing in a
      particular fashion ... the neurons have those emotional tags related to the
      mood of either happiness or sadness or melancholy ... you keep your mood,
      because your brain has set up a closed circuit that keeps the neurons firing
      ... it is like when you day dream about your being Perry Mason and your
      internal discussion contains all the conversation of Perry, the judge, the
      DA and the guy who jumps up and proclaims that he is the guilty party ...
      the mood keeps repeating endlessly until you can find some way out of it ...

      the mood relates to authenticity, in the sense that you are authentic in
      your mood ... but if the mood is something undesirable, they you are still
      authentic, but not in the way that you might wish ... for example you become
      an authentic sad person ...

      do you find yourself caught in moods? ...

      Message 62 of 62 , May 23, 2001
        james,

        yes i understand ... i was just following the flow of the discussion about
        what we see when we see a pen ... my thought is that once you see the pen
        ... and are primed to look for pens, because there is a need ... or there is
        an attribute of the pen which is attractive (aesthetics) ... then your focus
        concentrates on the pen and the table disappears ... it would seem that
        there are other stages for observing things ...

        1) you may be primed to look for pens (this will not take place if you are
        simply looking without anticipation) ...
        2) you see a pen and observe its attributes ...
        3) you assess the attributes and add "tags" from previous experiences ...
        4) you focus upon the pen allowing the table to disappear into the
        background ...

        there may be yet other stages ...

        have fun ...