Re: Moods

  • Diana
    Message 1 of 62 , May 3, 2001
      << ... there are certainly times when an emotion surfaces, but
      depending upon the possible result, we have a responsibility for
      control .. >>

      I agree with what you say, and yet:

      Controlling our actions IN SPITE OF the emotion is like *imposing a
      RATIONAL control on ourselves*. (Any other suggestions?)

      But what about authenticity? I guess one is authentic not just
      because one makes independent rational decisions. I guess one is
      authentic when he has his own authentic MOODS as well.

      So what about the MOOD itself? Is man responsible for the mood
      itself?

      I wonder how does a mood originate and in what way it relates to
      authenticity. If we assume that the mood results from the way in
      which you (your consciousness <- Sartre) establish the relationship
      between yourself and the world, then you seem to be responsible for
      the mood as well.

      Diana
    • Eduard Alf
      Message 62 of 62 , May 23, 2001
        james,

        yes i understand ... i was just following the flow of the discussion about
        what we see when we see a pen ... my thought is that once you see the pen
        ... and are primed to look for pens, because there is a need ... or there is
        an attribute of the pen which is attractive (aesthetics) ... then your focus
        concentrates on the pen and the table disappears ... it would seem that
        there are other stages for observing things ...

        1) you may be primed to look for pens (this will not take place if you are
        simply looking without anticipation) ...
        2) you see a pen and observe its attributes ...
        3) you assess the attributes and add "tags" from previous experiences ...
        4) you focus upon the pen allowing the table to disappear into the
        background ...

        there may be yet other stages ...

        have fun ...