Moods

  • Diana
    Message 1 of 62 , May 3, 2001
      "[...] However, for existentialists, our mood most fundamentally
      indicates to us "how things are" with me, how my world is doing. What
      this in part means ... is that we cannot always control
      everything ... I can not force myself to feel in a particular way, in
      a particular mood. Rather, I find myself in a given mood. We can
      control what we do in any given mood, but not how we feel."

      If man is responsible for what he IS (his Being/his world/his
      relationship with the world) then isn't he in this way responsible
      for his emotions too?

      Diana
    • Eduard Alf
      Message 62 of 62 , May 23, 2001
        james,

        yes i understand ... i was just following the flow of the discussion about
        what we see when we see a pen ... my thought is that once you see the pen
        ... and are primed to look for pens, because there is a need ... or there is
        an attribute of the pen which is attractive (aesthetics) ... then your focus
        concentrates on the pen and the table disappears ... it would seem that
        there are other stages for observing things ...

        1) you may be primed to look for pens (this will not take place if you are
        simply looking without anticipation) ...
        2) you see a pen and observe its attributes ...
        3) you assess the attributes and add "tags" from previous experiences ...
        4) you focus upon the pen allowing the table to disappear into the
        background ...

        there may be yet other stages ...

        have fun ...