there *is* a problem...

  • bies
    Message 1 of 36 , May 3, 2001
      Eduard (and folks),

      i do not want to have a god that may not exist. religion costs too much and
      is too risky. it would be like selling my house, car and buying
      lottery-tickets. i want a real god, not a god that "has been created in
      relation to the prevailing social environment". i would like something more.
      but i don't think i will ever get it...

      i'm responsible about what have i done, but nobody ha told me the rules.
      that is tragic. and inventing my own rules--it doesn't change anything. i
      may still fear the everlasting punishment.

      i prefer to decide, that i will be punished if there is any afterlife,
      rather than letting the dice roll.

      bies
    • Eduard Alf
      Message 36 of 36 , May 13, 2001
        Marie et folks,

        hmmmmm ... people still worshipping Mithra ... that is interesting ... i
        would really like to meet one or two ...

        anyway, i guess that what im saying is that gods and their audience
        (worshippers) are connected ... a sort of symbiosis ... a symbiosis for
        which one is dependent upon the other ... i dont think god/man is any
        different from other dependent relationships in nature ...

        if a society has a god and this god ceases to function for them ... then
        that society may disappear ... particularly for societies where the religion
        is fundamental to their culture ... there are lots of examples of this ...
        the people may not completely disappear, but to end up in a lesser condition
        for which they are no longer successful ...

        it would seem to me that the god is in the same position ... he/she/it
        depends upon the audience ... if the audience disappears, then so does the
        god ...

        yes, one could relate to a deity for which there is a written record ...
        although one might ask whether this is truly a god/man relationship in the
        sense of relationships that existed when the god had a full audience within
        the society ... for example can one say that "Bast" is a current goddess who
        is fundamental to some people's lives ... there may well be some who believe
        in Bast, but is this the same as believing in Christ or Buddha ...

        and then, what about the multitude of gods and goddesses for whom there is
        not a written record ... are all of these still worshipped fully ... do we
        know of all the Celtic gods and goddesses, or the rocks and trees that might
        have been worshipped by ice-age man ...

        i suppose we could argue this forever ... and i would certainly like to hear
        more of your gods and goddesses ... but my primary point is the symbiosis of
        god/man ... i think it is fundamental to the way in which we deal with the
        world ...

        have fun ...

        eduad