Re: Drive

  • Jarod_Rollins@xxxx.xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 28, 1999
      Such a type of motivation is true for most everyone weither they
      believe that their life is with purpose or without. This blind animal
      ambition is indeed the driving force for children and the less gnostic.
      I belive that having motivation in the face of knowing that life is
      without purpose in and of itself is a different drive alltogether.
      This such drive ,the subborn act of acting with out reason, is still a
      mystery to me. Its doubtless that this motavation exists but to what
      ends? Is simply being distracted enoungh? Is that greastest pleasure
      for the greatest number a worthy goal? Or are there even any grounds
      with which to judge the pointless point of action?

      Allright, my life has no meaing except what I give it. This I have
      > known/felt/accepted for years now. What I have been trying to
      discover
      > it where the drive comes for myself or anyone else under this
      > realization. Is the pursuit of pleasure (like Mill's) a ethical
      source
      > of such drive?
      "Drive," motivation, and terms of the like, I think, are those things
      that compel us to give our lives meaning. We are born with (or in some
      cases, without) some sense of motivation--a need for action.

      --Christina
    • Frodo742@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 28, 1999
        In a message dated 7/28/99 10:13:12 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
        Jarod_Rollins@... writes:

        << Its doubtless that this motavation exists but to what
        ends? >>

        I believe that no matter how much a thinking sentient being analyzes,
        re-analyzes, and over-analyzes his purpose or lack of purpose in the world,
        his intellect cannot deter fundamental human drives/ambitions. For instance,
        all must eat to survive. However, because human beings are human beings, they
        do not only wish to eat, they wish to eat well. And so it goes with other
        fundamental human drives: that of satisfying one's sexual desires often leads
        one, intellectually, to seek and find the concept of "love" for his or
        herself. Thus the intellect, spurred by fundamental, non-intellectual drives,
        furthers these drives into this Motivation that you speak of in your post.

        << Is that greastest pleasure for the greatest number a worthy goal? >>

        This requires very lengthy discussion, maybe half of a school semester, but
        I'll say this: Utilitarianism, as a consequentialist moral theory, holds that
        it is the consequences or ends of our actions that determine whether
        particular means to them are justified. This leads to conclusions that are
        contrary to "commonsense morality." For example: Wouldn't it justify
        punishing an innocent person, a "scapegoat," in order to prevent a great evil
        or promote a great good? Also...on further criticism, the application of the
        classic hedonistic utilitarian philosophy is very difficult on a personal,
        and even more so on a societal level. The "utilitarian calculus," or whatever
        you want to term it, is an altogether way, way too subjective matter, as in
        determining what deserves how many utiles, etc. It just doesn't work, and if
        anyone on this list would like to go into a little further discussion on
        modern manifestations of the principle of utility, like cost-benefit
        analysis, let me know!
        -Steve
      • Yana Youhana
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 28, 1999
          The "Drive" exist from birth in all of us just like the
          "cancer", it only needs a switch to turn it on or off.
          In some cases, drugs are strong force to activate or
          deactivate that drive/desire. It is the same as the
          old "chichen or egg" question, which one exist first,
          the drive or the desire to have that drive to go on!
          I look around me in the daily life of mine, people that
          rush to get to work and rush to go home, I look in to
          those faces and most of the time I do NOT see the desire
          but there is a drive and that is the insinct for survival,
          to LIVE because one must! 90% of the people just live because
          of that birth given drive to live BUT ONLY 10% are ALIVE!

          -
          yana

        • Yana Youhana
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 28, 1999

            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 29, 1999
              >I believe that no matter how much a thinking sentient being analyzes,
              >re-analyzes, and over-analyzes his purpose or lack of purpose in the
              >world,
              >his intellect cannot deter fundamental human drives/ambitions. For
              >instance,
              >all must eat to survive.
              True ,but you can still choose not to eat and die and thus deter such
              ambitions.
              This would be the freedom of choice taken to the extreme and
              existentially they would be choosing to have no meaning. But it is a
              simple case of intellect overcoming fundamental human drives(i.e. to
              survive).

              >However, because human beings are human beings, they
              >do not only wish to eat, they wish to eat well.
              Eating well is a rather ambigious term, do you mean to say that we as
              human wish to eat healthy or to eat gourmet, if the latter such eating
              habits are due more to convention than instinct. If you meant the
              former, there are many people who eat unhealthy (i.e. mac donalds
              patrons)
              > And so it goes with other
              >fundamental human drives: that of satisfying one's sexual desires often
              >leads
              >one, intellectually, to seek and find the concept of "love" for his or
              >herself. Thus the intellect, spurred by fundamental, non-intellectual
              >drives,
              >furthers these drives into this Motivation that you speak of in your pos
              Yes, the intellect can and is deterred by instnict but doesn't have to
              be and to the existentialist often isn't. The genetic will to live is
              a powerful source of ambition but it is the initial driving force only.
              Once a mind has broken free of convention a different type of fuel is
              needed to keep the fire of life alive. What that fuel is, i don't
              know, but our posts here are evidence of it.

              ><< Is that greastest pleasure for the greatest number a worthy goal? >>

              >This requires very lengthy discussion, maybe half of a school semester,
              >but
              >I'll say this: Utilitarianism, as a consequentialist moral theory,
              >holds that
              >it is the consequences or ends of our actions that determine whether
              >particular means to them are justified. This leads to conclusions that
              >are
              >contrary to "commonsense morality." For example: Wouldn't it justify
              >punishing an innocent person, a "scapegoat," in order to prevent a
              >great evil
              >or promote a great good?
              Punshing an innocent IS a great evil, and wouldn't jusify preventing
              another great evil.
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 29, 1999
> [...]

                >great evil
                >or promote a great good?
                Punshing an innocent IS a great evil, and wouldn't jusify preventing
                another great evil.
                > Also...on further criticism, the application of the
                >classic hedonistic utilitarian philosophy is very difficult on a
                >personal,
                >and even more so on a societal level. The "utilitarian calculus," or
                >whatever
                >you want to term it, is an altogether way, way too subjective matter,
                >as in
                >determining what deserves how many utiles, etc. It just doesn't work,
                >and if
                >anyone on this list would like to go into a little further discussion
                >on
                >modern manifestations of the principle of utility, like cost-benefit
              • Tom
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 29, 1999
                  ><< Is that greastest pleasure for the greatest number a worthy goal? >>
                  >
                  > >This requires very lengthy discussion, maybe half of a school semester,
                  > >but
                  > >I'll say this: Utilitarianism, as a consequentialist moral theory,
                  > >holds that
                  > >it is the consequences or ends of our actions that determine whether
                  > >particular means to them are justified. This leads to conclusions that
                  > >are
                  > >contrary to "commonsense morality." For example: Wouldn't it justify
                  > >punishing an innocent person, a "scapegoat," in order to prevent a
                  > >great evil
                  > >or promote a great good?

                  > Punshing an innocent IS a great evil, and wouldn't jusify preventing
                  > another great evil.

                  When assessing the greater evil, the following contrived situation comes to
                  mind.

                  A man is walking along a bridge when he sees that a train carrying hundreds
                  of passengers is almost certainly to go plumetting several hundred feet into
                  a canyon below. Seeing this, he realises that he can alert the driver by
                  rushing towards a nearby emergency button. Unfortunately, the button is
                  only accessible by his young daughter as he is far too big to reach it
                  through the tunnel in which it resides. The button, however, is situated in
                  a location that will go plumetting into the canyon along with the train. He
                  can choose one of two options :-

                  1) Coerce his young daughter into the "game" of pushing the button even
                  though he knows it will result in her certain death. The train passengers
                  will most likley survive.

                  2) Watch the train go plumetting into the canyon, killing hundreds. His
                  daughter survives.

                  If he chose (1) then he would be following the "Wouldn't it justify
                  punishing an innocent person, a "scapegoat," in order to prevent a great
                  evil or promote a great good?" idea. If he chose (2) then would that be a
                  greater evil?

                  Surely one for the existentialist deciding upon moral decision making? I'm
                  damned if I can take a moral high ground! Utilitarianism would point
                  towards option 1. What would the individual existentialists on this list
                  choose? Maybe the nature of your philosophy dictates that it is too
                  contrived to have meaning to you?

                  Tom
                • Mario
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 4, 2006
                    ..."The purpose" I agree to a certain extent that most people don't
                    even seem to think about their existence in a "beginning and end"
                    type fashion. They seem to "live", period!

                    Mario

                    --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "Yana Youhana"