Re: [existlist] retaining memories - a curse and a blessing

  • Sue McPherson
    Message 1 of 92 , Feb 14, 2003
      Life isn't usually that simple, unfortunately, at least it isn't
      for a great many people. It isn't even a matter of choosing*
      how to act that makes a difference to how a person will be
      remembered. There are enough people on death row and
      in prisons who shouldn't be there - who have committed no
      crime - to make the point of how one will be remembered
      redundant.

      People don't form opinions based on the actions of a person.
      They form opinions - quite often - based on how they see
      others treat a person (that's because most people in society
      are just like sheep). They form opinions based on the
      knowledge they have of how society works and what people
      should be doing in their lives, and most importantly, on how
      successful people are based on what we learn about social
      expectations as we grow up.

      In some ways it is true - "what we do in the now is the most
      important decision we have to make". But often it simply
      doesn't make any difference.

      There are some aspects of this discussion list I find
      discomfitting. I'm not happy about the way nooism seems
      to be taking over, or at least that one must believe in it or
      pretend to in order to be able to participate in typical
      discussions. This list on existentialism should not have one
      person's efforts - nooism or whatever - or any particular
      religion - at it's central core.

      I find also, that some of the ways certain subjects are
      discussed or spoken about to be degrading and/or
      objectionable within themselves. For example, the way
      Stonehenge was spoken about seems to me to have been
      disrespectful. Also, some aspects of the Christian religion
      were ridiculed. The way we use language is important. It
      does reflect the kind of people we are, and besides that, how
      we use language informs other people about what is
      acceptable and what is not, within our society. I would like
      to mention one thing in particular.

      Sex is obviously important to everyone in society, and
      perhaps especially to men, whose identity quite often seems
      to hinge on this part of their anatomy. I am glad to have seen
      some truths about that admitted on this list that there isn't on
      others I have been on. But I do believe it is a subject that
      should be taken seriously, aside from the inevitable jokes and
      innuendoes. Referring to men as swinging dicks is offensive -
      inherently offensive - to men, women, and especially to
      children growing up in this society. This is not only my
      opinion. There are numerous others who are working towards
      improving relations between men and women and trying to
      have men see themselves as having far more potential than
      simply an identity hinged on their genitals.

      People have different ways of talking and thinking and acting
      in society. I would like to think that each person who is on
      this list can find some way to be involved.

      Sue McPherson

      Message 92 of 92 , Jun 4 4:47 PM
        Bill, It was less than two years ago, and I was at war with many of
        you here at existlist. Used to say that the list was unaware of its
        strongly North American identity. Now I'm more hopeful that
        existentialism will emerge from its historical and academic
        straitjackets, that yet more voices will swell our chorus, Eastern
        European, Indian, Antipodean, Oriental, African. I don't have a plan,
        beyond the basic attempt to live with integrity, nor do I exactly have
        a dream. Intuitions come and go, the old library continues to bring
        inspiration. If it were all nostalgia simply, I wouldn't have the
        heart to take the books down from the shelf. What is there to say? I
        live, therefore I post. Louise