nihilism

  • canis os
    Message 1 of 41 , Feb 4, 2003
      I thought I was a existentialist, now I find i'm a nihilist. Can I be both,
      or should I just un-sub and join a nihilist list?
      db

      nihilism n

      1. the general rejection of established social conventions and beliefs,
      especially of morality and religion

      2. a belief that life is pointless and human values are worthless

      3. the belief that there is no objective basis for truth

      4. the belief that all established authority is corrupt and must be
      destroyed in order to rebuild a just society

    • Ghost Dansing
      Message 41 of 41 , Oct 5, 2005
        It is of interest to me in this thread to include the notion of the
        essentially individual nature of one's own death within the context of a
        Constitutional Framework that was intentionally designed to provide
        government entrusted, with checks and balances, to ensure maximum liberty to
        the individual. (I don't like Sartre or Jaspers on this...that death is an
        existential theme that points back to the individual is, in my opinion, more
        experientially sound. Heidegger's a good guy).

        If a trully Constitutional intention was followed in the establishment of
        public policy for assisted death, the elegant solution is to somehow
        localize the decision as closely as possible to the individual, and the
        medical professional. Problems arise, of course, when the individual can no
        longer participate in the decision making, as we found in the Schiavo case.
        However, the principle, ensuring individual freedom to the highest degree
        possible, from a Constitutional standpoint is sound.

        Science can sometimes assist Law Making and the Judicial rendering of the
        Law and Public Policy. A problem arises in the case of life and death in
        that operational definitions regarding the beginning of life, and the
        occurance of death cannot, apparently, reach concensus. Since Science
        demands mutually agreed-upon operational definitions, and measurments based
        on these, Science is not a ready tool to inform the Judicial case.

        Similary, Religious dogmatism not only can be, but has been turned on its
        head when it comes to medical intervention in Life and Death. Insofar as
        life has within it, and could be described (if it is not essentially) as a
        process toward dying (perhaps being-towards-death), any medical intervention
        can be seen as essentially against the will of God. I think there are some
        Christian sects that deny the use of certain medical procedures
        (transfusions for example), and there may be some left that do not abide by
        medicine at all. Those Religious positions pre-date the modern versions of
        Christianity where there are issues regarding when, exactly, to "pull the
        plug". So, somewhere in all that there was quite a bit of morphing of
        positions vis-a-vis medical practice and its role. Therefore, Religious
        positions do not necessarily inform good public policy either, and once
        again we find the individual at the center, and probably the best locus for
        such decision making.

        The American Constitution supports even the most solipsistic existentialism
        one can practice, and I think that's a good thing. Interestingly, even Roe v
        Wade was quite consistent with the Constitutional intent, recognizing the
        priority of the individual within what is typically a very complex
        existential circumstance within the context of general Public Policy and
        Law. That's good Public Policy and Law, at least in terms of traditional
        American values. One could even say that the Public solution rendered by the
        Court was even Libertarian in nature. However, the so called "conservatives"
        who count Libertarians amongst them failed to see the elegance and justice.

        I should point out that the question of strict Religious applications to
        Public Policy and Law is coming from a circumscribed sect of "christians" in
        the American society. Once upon a time, at least, most Christians understood
        the practice of their faith, albeit communal, to be essentially about an
        individual's relationship with God, and the personal choices he/she made
        along that path. It is a particular sect, evangelical, fundamentalist,
        dominionist extremists that are of the idea that direct application of their
        dogmatism to Public Policy and Law should be absolute, and not merely
        informed. And even here, when it comes to medical intervention in matters of
        life and death there is inconsistency in their allegedly "absolute"
        application. On the one hand their approach to cases such as Schiavo suggest
        limitless medical intervention dedicated to prolonging life in even its
        simplist manifestation. Yet, in the area of stem cell research; research
        that could potentially expand the levels of medical intervention
        exponentially, they advocate curtailment. So, even here, the issue of
        medical, intervention, or non-intervention, as a matter of Publica Policy
        and Law, is provided no uniform rule.

        Only by allowing for the primacy of the individual in such cases as life and
        death can one accomodate the complexity of the existential situation as it
        unfolds. The American Constitution provides for this latitude.

        Enough for now. Thanks for letting me share. :)

        Ghost Dansing