RE: [existlist] music

  • Rakwena Mogoai
    Message 1 of 136 , Jan 31, 2003
      Bill,

      The word Emperan was used in ancient cosmology for the:

      (a)The highest reaches of heaven, believed by the ancients to be a realm of
      pure fire or light.
      (b) The abode of God and the angels; paradise.

      Surely not a word suitable for use by you, as it denotes non-existence, and
      a fictional realm.

      I have been reading a book titled the Consolation of Philosophy - it
      features three books by Boethius, Thomas a' Kempis and Sir Thomas Browne,
      who writes that science cannot offer adequate explanation for the mystique
      and mysteries of the universe.

      Message 136 of 136 , Feb 15, 2003
        shari wrote:

        > I found Paul Tillich helpful.

        Ditto.

        > Theology has to do with the survival of both the institution and the >
        clergy.

        A truer word has not been spoken! Hence the need for each individual to
        find their path.

        > Jean-Luc Marion adds more in this line. In 'God Without
        > Being' he takes God out of the realm of metaphysics. God no
        > longer is seen as a metaphysical "being," which is bound to
        > human limited thought. We must think of God, "outside the
        > box" of ontology, being.

        Hence Tillich's term of God as 'the ground of our being' by which I mean
        Being (with a capital B ... the same as that used by Spong).

        > He argues that any attempt to define God is to diminish God
        > and worship an idol fabricated by human thought.

        Yep! God is more than the combined human imgaination over all time and
        space can guess at.

        > God is transcendent, unreachable, unattainable,

        Yep, I think we experience but a shadow of God ... but that is still
        amazing.

        > as are other humans.

        I think finite people are experienced more fully than God but not
        exhaustively.

        Mark