Re: [existlist] Future does not influence NOW then!!!!!!!!!

  • Lorna Landry
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 12, 2003
      Pat,
      I think what we (or at least I) am saying is that, by future, Sartre does not mean a thing - things have no past, or future - they just are.He is saying that our freedom is absolute, in that we create the future, and this created future (our nothingness) of our owm making is what determines our choices now. "Being and Nothingness", for the most part, is a description of inauthentic (bad faith) existence; those who deny that everything they do is their own choice. It seems he never really got around to describing an authentic one.
      Lorna

      Pat Collins <retropat7762@...> wrote:Folks,

      You all seem to be saying that the future determines the
      NOW by the way we project stuff into it and then act as if
      the stuff will be there in the future. Well that is NOT the
      future influencing the NOW. If Sartre only meant that, what
      is the big deal?

      ... Pat