Re: Digest Number 46

  • CASEY EDWARDS
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 4, 1999
      To take responsibility for a action you have taken would be to answer
      to a higher authority: values and virtues. Is honesty a virtue of
      yours? Honesty to yourself? One should take responsibility to themself
      so that the incident does not occur again (very similar to learning from
      past mistakes). It would be proper to say that we should acknowledge
      our socially unacceptable misconduct(though why should we live our lives
      within the boundaries of society?), and the fact that we have thus made
      a fool out of ourselves would be the recompense for the misconduct and
      would teach us a lesson(depending on the infraction). Responsibility to
      what: responsibility to yourself; in essence responsibility(duty)to
      uphold your virtues and in the process make yourself a greater man or
      woman because of it. Existentially, it is hard to picture
      responsibility. There is nothing which holds us down in a existential
      world. Each individual develops himself (though social conditions play
      a large role in development). The end justifies the means. If you dont
      do what is necessary for the completion of your end, then you simply
      wont get what you wanted. There is no responsibility there. You dont
      take responsibility for not getting what you wanted or not doing what
      you were suppost to do, you simply dont get what you wanted as the end
      result. If I borrow my friends Cd, break it, am I obligated to pay for
      it? He was taking the risk of the CD being broken by lending it to me;
      he was not giving me a special privelage, he was being friendly. Now,
      if I want to remain his friend, I will buy him the new Cd. No
      responsibility there, simply pure selfishness: If i break it, i pay for
      it so that he remains my friend; not because i feel obligated to to pay
      for it. If he said that he hated the Cd anyway would you still buy him
      another one? If i dont pay for it, then I loose a friend i probably
      didnt give a damn about in the first place because if i did care i would
      have paid for it (but again, that is selfishness); in this situation, i
      was using the friend for my own benefit until unltimately i broke the
      cd, which ended the relationship.

      Who judges what is responsibility is. a eye for a eye, a tooth for a
      tooth?

      from a non philosophical standpoint, one owes responsibility to the
      responsible. If i contradicted myself anywhere above, let me know. I
      would like to start a discussion about something-too bad the list is
      running sluggish lately

      -kay cee

      "above the stricken, suffering man there glow
      far azure plains of unimagined bliss."