Re: hello!

  • Matt Kirby
    Message 1 of 33 , Oct 4, 1999
      BRadon,
      I do not think we can comprehend the infinite. We can think it as we do,
      but understand it no. We are trapped in a world of time. Infinity is the
      absence of time or time eternal, our minds can not comprehend that. We are
      bound by the idea of time, everything has a beginning and a end. I do not
      deny the idea of infinity either, I believe it exist, is there proof of its
      existence, no. But there are many things humans believe in that are
      irrational, God for example. According to some religions He has no beginning
      or end, that is very irrational, but yet some still believe in Him, by faith
      I guess. So I guess I believe in the infinite by faith, I hate to admit
      that, but I can't avoid it.
      Kirby
      Message 33 of 33 , May 4, 2003
        --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "Denise Drew" <skindividual@y...> wrote:

        > Why can this not be addressed?
        >

        > Denise

        Anything relating to existentialism or phenomenology can be asked or
        explored for discussion. It is important that discussions not attack
        anyone, regardless of his or her views and/or misunderstandings. If
        another member notices a factual or historical error, a correction
        should be offered politely and with a proper tone.

        Existentialism applies to a broad range of philosophers, not one group
        over any other. Also, educating members should include more than
        telling them what to read -- it should offer an explanation as to why
        a book, play, or essay is of value.

        As an example: I did not see the posts calling Ayn Rand an
        existentialist. I think there was a question about her, and a polite
        explanation of her beliefs would have been in order. She was in
        opposition to Sartre, and a bitter oponent at that. Explaning why and
        how would offer value to the group. Unfortunately, I think the student
        asking the question felt attacked and left to ask me the question
        privately.

        We need to answer things, not attack each other. When a post is
        negative in tone, whatever value it has is lost and ignored. I tend to
        skip most posts that call me a name anywhere in the post, and I think
        most people would do the same.

        As for comments about degrees and what-not: I do not attack the
        credentials of others, though I did point out that formal education
        alone is not the only form of credential. There was no sarcasm or
        dislike in that -- merely a point that everyone here might have
        something of value to add.

        My "existential" education was from a French-born professor who has
        moved to this area. I spent hours at his house in the summers, working
        on books together. That was more valid that any of my university
        courses -- many of which were on the topic, but poorly taught.

        So, those were my points.

        - CSW