Re: [existlist] Sex Education

  • Mark Tindall
    Message 1 of 42 , Nov 26, 2002
      eduard wrote:

      > Yes, philosophy and humanities is important, but my view is that it
      > should be combined with technical things that needed in our technical
      > world. Of course there is a need for balance, but an emphasis of the
      > former over the latter is just as wrong. But then I am speaking of
      > the lower grades.

      I have taught every age group from Kindergarten to adult. Philosophy and
      humanities are needed at every level. The lower the age group the more
      difficult the teaching (contrary to popular belief). All teaching /
      learning needs to be adapted to the individual and be life-long. Socratic
      method works for all ages.

      Mark
    • kinetic8001
      Message 42 of 42 , Nov 29, 2002
        Human understanding is limited, and therefore, by necessity,
        any 'theory' of existence must be 'claiming' more than it can justify.

        A question: do you think that the above already shows that any
        attempt to increase one's awareness of one's existence must be
        useless and a waste of time? In what way can a theory 'claim'
        anything? I suppose Descartes' methodology is 'overoptimistic'
        because it >claims< results [it claims to be the way to the Truth by
        imposing restrictions on the way of investigation]. But in what way
        to other kind of discourse 'claim' results?