Sex Education

  • Cameron Brauer
    Message 1 of 42 , Nov 22, 2002
      Question:

      What type of an ethical/philosophical argument can I make for the
      following thought:

      Society has a right and in fact a duty, to educate its members on
      all aspects (sex ed, in this case) of their being so that they can
      take responsibility for their actions and interactions with others.

      The idea here is that I believe that current sex ed is lacking in
      any true value and needs to be more comprehensive, useful and
      meaningful.

      Does anyone have any thoughts on either side of this argument?

      Thanks,
      Cameron

      PS – I've been "lurking" here for almost 9 months now. Existlist
      has been more than entertaining and enlightening. Thanks!
    • kinetic8001
      Message 42 of 42 , Nov 29, 2002
        Human understanding is limited, and therefore, by necessity,
        any 'theory' of existence must be 'claiming' more than it can justify.

        A question: do you think that the above already shows that any
        attempt to increase one's awareness of one's existence must be
        useless and a waste of time? In what way can a theory 'claim'
        anything? I suppose Descartes' methodology is 'overoptimistic'
        because it >claims< results [it claims to be the way to the Truth by
        imposing restrictions on the way of investigation]. But in what way
        to other kind of discourse 'claim' results?