Re: [existlist] human nature

  • Linda Jordan
    Message 1 of 39 , Apr 5, 2001
      Yes, well, Sartre is not a god. If you're a Sartre-ist--excuse the
      coining--that's fine. I choose to pick and choose who I believe and which
      parts of what they say I believe. I am familiar with his works. And
      because of him, I asked that question. I don't think Sartre would
      appreciate someone simply buying into his ideas without questioning them and
      picking and choosing those which apply. Sartre, I think it was, said
      something like it was his job in life to make people question and to make
      them miserable. (I am sure someone out there will provide the actual quote,
      if it was in fact him.) So if you're totally accepting his ideas, naughty,
      naughty. IF you are a true Sartre-ist (sorry again), you must have come to
      that same conclusion.

      >From: "james tan" <tyjfk@...>
      >To: existlist@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [existlist] human nature
      >Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 01:30:45 -0000
      >

      >according to sartre, there is no human nature: we define who we are by our
      >actions - that, is to be human, in that his so-called essence is his
      >freedom.
      >it is not the case that we act because of some human nature, but we define
      >what is human by our actions. as such, we act not because it is good, but
      >it
      >is good because we act it.
      >
      >james.
    • Edward Alf
      Message 39 of 39 , Apr 13, 2001
        james,

        i understand what you are saying ...

        my view is that, from an existentialist position, the individual
        makes individual choices, specific to himself/herself ... what
        happens after that is another decision in relation to morals and
        ethics ... for example, if im really angry at someone, i might
        choose initially to murder him/her ... but given this choice, i
        have another to decide whether to implement it ... i may say that
        this is contrary to civilized behavior and thus will not follow
        through with the choice ... or i might say that i risk capital
        punishment and thus am risking my own existence and decide that
        the release of anger is not worth the risk ...

        the point is that the basic principle is the freedom to choose...
        regardless of what that choice may lead to ... once you add
        qualifications the freedom is limited ... that is the way in
        which i treat logic ... one step at a time ... it is like looking
        for a new car that i can use to drive to work ... i first look
        into the set of cars in general (as opposed to bicycles or boats)
        ... then i look into this set for a subset of cars that would
        provide me with basic transportation (Volkswagens versus
        cadillacs) ... my old boss used to refer to it as the salami
        principle .. one slice at a time ...