human nature

  • james tan
    Message 1 of 39 , Apr 3, 2001
      according to sartre, there is no human nature: we define who we are by our
      actions - that, is to be human, in that his so-called essence is his
      freedom.
      it is not the case that we act because of some human nature, but we define
      what is human by our actions. as such, we act not because it is good, but it
      is good because we act it.

      james.
    • Edward Alf
      Message 39 of 39 , Apr 13, 2001
        james,

        i understand what you are saying ...

        my view is that, from an existentialist position, the individual
        makes individual choices, specific to himself/herself ... what
        happens after that is another decision in relation to morals and
        ethics ... for example, if im really angry at someone, i might
        choose initially to murder him/her ... but given this choice, i
        have another to decide whether to implement it ... i may say that
        this is contrary to civilized behavior and thus will not follow
        through with the choice ... or i might say that i risk capital
        punishment and thus am risking my own existence and decide that
        the release of anger is not worth the risk ...

        the point is that the basic principle is the freedom to choose...
        regardless of what that choice may lead to ... once you add
        qualifications the freedom is limited ... that is the way in
        which i treat logic ... one step at a time ... it is like looking
        for a new car that i can use to drive to work ... i first look
        into the set of cars in general (as opposed to bicycles or boats)
        ... then i look into this set for a subset of cars that would
        provide me with basic transportation (Volkswagens versus
        cadillacs) ... my old boss used to refer to it as the salami
        principle .. one slice at a time ...