Re: hello!

  • Matt Kirby
    Message 1 of 33 , Oct 3, 1999
      "If we have the capacity to think of something infinite then something
      infinite must have put that thought there." I can not recall who said that
      but hopefully it will get some more discussion going.
      Kirby
      Message 33 of 33 , May 4, 2003
        --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "Denise Drew" <skindividual@y...> wrote:

        > Why can this not be addressed?
        >

        > Denise

        Anything relating to existentialism or phenomenology can be asked or
        explored for discussion. It is important that discussions not attack
        anyone, regardless of his or her views and/or misunderstandings. If
        another member notices a factual or historical error, a correction
        should be offered politely and with a proper tone.

        Existentialism applies to a broad range of philosophers, not one group
        over any other. Also, educating members should include more than
        telling them what to read -- it should offer an explanation as to why
        a book, play, or essay is of value.

        As an example: I did not see the posts calling Ayn Rand an
        existentialist. I think there was a question about her, and a polite
        explanation of her beliefs would have been in order. She was in
        opposition to Sartre, and a bitter oponent at that. Explaning why and
        how would offer value to the group. Unfortunately, I think the student
        asking the question felt attacked and left to ask me the question
        privately.

        We need to answer things, not attack each other. When a post is
        negative in tone, whatever value it has is lost and ignored. I tend to
        skip most posts that call me a name anywhere in the post, and I think
        most people would do the same.

        As for comments about degrees and what-not: I do not attack the
        credentials of others, though I did point out that formal education
        alone is not the only form of credential. There was no sarcasm or
        dislike in that -- merely a point that everyone here might have
        something of value to add.

        My "existential" education was from a French-born professor who has
        moved to this area. I spent hours at his house in the summers, working
        on books together. That was more valid that any of my university
        courses -- many of which were on the topic, but poorly taught.

        So, those were my points.

        - CSW