Re: [existlist] Re: Marking the territory like a dog having his day...

  • Edward Alf
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 24, 2001
      Richard et all,

      im not trying to impose a direction for discussion ... it is just not that
      we are not get anywhere in this side issue of colors and clams and whatnot
      ... instead of concentrating on philosophy which is the subject of this
      group, we are burdened down with trying to define whether or not we know a
      particular color ...

      anyway, if i interpret Chris correctly existentialism comes down to free
      will and ones own experiences ... that if, you accept you are on your own in
      life, there is no outside control, then you are free to challenge norms ...
      this indeed will lead a person to angst and dispair ... for free will of
      itself does not provide anything unless you have a map and objective to
      follow ... i think that the point of Viktor Frankl was not that one would
      simply have free will, but also a belief or focus ... it was a belief and
      the awareness of free will which enabled survival ... it does not matter
      what the belief is as long as it is successful in its purpose ...

      it seems to me that existentialism is simply rationalism ... which is not to
      trivialize it, rationalism has its advantages ... but rationalism alone does
      not lend itself to survival ... so the question is, what sorts of belief
      systems might be coupled with existentialism in todays world ... i realise
      that Sartre was an atheist, but then he was also French which has a lot of
      particular support structures within the culture ... what im looking for is
      a comment on what one would see as an irrational complement to
      existentialism ...