meaning

  • eduard
    Message 1 of 281 , Oct 31, 2002
      Brian,

      Yes, you focus on your breath, but that is only a
      technique to achieve "non-thought". In some
      cases, they use a method of focusing on a candle.
      But again it is only a method. The idea is to
      release the mind from the everyday mundane
      thoughts.

      In meditation, the objective is to go beyond
      thought. At an unexpected moment a transition
      occurs [so I am told] at which you obtain an
      insight into the oneness. Do you recall the movie
      "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" when Chow Yun Fat
      describes his experience in meditation??

      What is consciousness?? According to the
      dictionary it is; "Having an awareness of one's
      environment and one's own existence, sensations,
      and thoughts". You are saying that "meaning" is
      dependent upon consciousness. It really does not
      matter if it is of a human or some animal of
      like-mind.

      "Meaning" is the essence of something, the
      purpose, the intent. My point is that this
      "meaning" is part of the object itself. If an
      object has an essence, this is not dependent upon
      a human applying this as a label. I grant that
      such a label can be applied, but the label is
      determined only after the human identifies what is
      already there.

      Yes the pencil exists on the table. Of course you
      can look upon the pencil and table as combining
      into oneness, but at some stage they have to be
      separated if you are going to talk about meaning
      of the pencil itself. I am not disputing that
      there can be oneness. What I am saying is that
      the meaning of the pencil is not dependent upon a
      prior labeling by a human.

      Why cant a pencil be a pencil and in oneness at
      the same time. It is only a matter of how you
      wish to look at it. If you ask me if the pencil
      is part of the universe, then I would have to say
      yes. But if you ask me if the pencil has meaning
      of itself, then of course I have to isolate it to
      answer the question.

      As to God ... if you do not agree that it is a
      fantasy, then what is it. Does God actually exist
      or is He a figment of our imagination. But then
      does it matter, since your question was whether
      God can create anything. If god is a fantasy,
      then the question is moot.

      eduard
    • Mary Jo
      Message 281 of 281 , Dec 28, 2004