Re: [existlist] spiritual explanations!

  • Edward Alf
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 21, 2001
      hi all,

      according to the internet, "existentialism" is defined as;

      The doctrine that among sentient beings, especially humanity,
      existence takes precedence over essence and holding that man is totally
      free
      and responsible for his acts.
      This responsibility is the source of dread and anguish that encompass
      mankind.

      i think the weakness in this is that it implies the freedom and
      responsibility of an "individual" ... and perhaps that is the weakness of
      the present generation ... we look at the world as individuals whereas we
      are really part of a society ... of mankind ... (or is that personkind?) ...
      we are tuned to our egos and on this basis it is true that "The mass of men
      (persons) lead lives of quiet desperation" ... but this ignores the fact
      that we are connected to humans in general ...

      when you see a school of fish, you see hundreds of individuals, but they
      swim in unison as if they had some means of unseen communication ... as
      humans, we have the same connectiveness, but we fallen victim to the western
      politic of the individual ... there is no reason why we should look upon our
      responsibility as a source of dread and anguish ...

      i need to do more study on this .. im at a disadvantage as my reading has
      been in other areas ...

      however, i find equally difficult the idea that there is a "uniqueness and
      isolation of the individual experience in a hostile or indifferent
      universe", and that "human existence as unexplainable" ... it does not take
      much to see that there is a specific meaning to our existence ... it is
      perhaps not something that we wish to hear ... our purpose and meaning is no
      different from that other species ... to propagate ourselves and ensure our
      survival ... it is not a sexy purpose or something mysterious that we can
      find at some seance or within a religion, but it is there non-the-less ...