      From: "Christopher Bobo" <cbobo@...>
      To: "Wisdom Forum" <WisdomForum@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: Re: [WisdomForum] Re: Choosing and Reason
      Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 20:06:51 -0700

      James said:
      >>the
      question still remains why would one want to adopt such a morality.<<

      Obviously, to make moral decisions.

      From: "Christopher Bobo" <cbobo@...>
      To: "Wisdom Forum" <WisdomForum@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 22:48:24 -0700

      It is also noteworthy that Sartre considers the problem from essentially
      only a deontological point of view. He compares Christian with Kantian
      values and concludes that they do not resolve the conflict and that
      therefore there is no rational way to resolve the conflict. However, if he
      had employed a consequentialist morality, the problem may have been
      resolvable through a rational method of decision. The utilitarian would
      have chosen that course of action which maximizes the greatest amount of
      happiness for the most number of people. If the choice is between making
      only one person (the mother) happy as opposed to making many people (say the
      village that one might liberate as a member of the French Army in exile)
      happy, the choice would be clear and that would be a rational way of
      deciding what to do. And, even approaching the issue from a
      non-consequentialist point of view that focuses on say "what we care about",
      the problem can enriched by considering some of the additional factors that
      SWM points out. Can the mother get along without the son, or would she die
      if he went off to fight? Do the students peers want him to join them, and
      thereby make a unit of true comrades? Perhaps here Sartre has really
      exaggerated the importance of making an unprincipled or radical choice.
      There appears to be substantial reason to think that Sartre has given up on
      reason far too soon.

      Jamar wrote,Morlity as we haevs come to know,has evoled over the years. We have so many sub-groups that we cannot ignore any more.And with that said, morality is the conerstone of this and any society, without it we will an anarchist type of being.

      Jamar