9723RE: [existlist] Re: neurons and optical illusions

  • eduard
    Oct 8, 2002
      N10,

      Yes, I tend to also project my thoughts in front
      of me. Like painting a picture. I am very
      visual, so that I need a construct that I can
      follow. For example, I see the number system as a
      series of ladders which are primarily in segments
      of 10. Counting becomes a matter of adding
      sections. I have a difficulty of adding, say 3 +
      28, since at 30 the inclination of the ladders
      changes and thus you cant add a straight section
      of 3 to a straight section leading from 28.

      Something similar happens with dates. I see the
      year as a large circle or wheel. So depending
      upon the time of year, I can visualize myself in a
      certain position and orientation. Summer is at
      the bottom of the circle and winter is at the top.
      I have the sense that all this visualization is
      due my inability to grasp the abstract idea of
      time.

      I don't think that memories are stored in the
      brain in their original form. That is, we don't
      store precisely what we saw, but only certain
      aspects which allow us to reconstruct the memory
      as if from scratch. For example, I can remember
      the old cinema that I used to go to as a kid when
      I lived in Thunder Bay. But the memory is
      something that I reconstruct each time I think of
      it. That is why witnesses in a police case are
      not reliable. When trying to describe the thief
      or whomever, the witness reconstructs the image
      from bits and pieces. More often than not, the
      pieces get mixed with those of other memories, so
      that one witness may swear that the their had red
      hair and another will say it is blond.