      From: mrnavigator10
      To: existlist@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, October 08, 2002 6:56 PM
      Subject: [existlist] Re: neurons and optical
      illusions

      HI Eduard

      Yes your correct it is the Civil Aviation
      Authority. Im therefore
      martian ..lol

      The 3d construct stuff still intrigues me and
      actually I remeber
      reading about this some years ago in a book
      by Rupert Sheldrake, the
      rebel biochemist. He's now the science
      correspondent for the times
      of the Gaurdian after some years of
      ''exile''. I will research the
      detail for you, if you are interested, as he
      did present some
      alternate views to the nature of perception.

      Interesting point;I have clear recall of not
      hearing the doppler
      effect until I had been told repetatively
      told it did exist and
      ofcourse made wrong for not going into the
      mass agreement on the
      nature of reality.

      I write music as a hobby and frequently
      experiment with psycho
      aucostics which in a similar manner borders
      on the areas of trained
      response. On an A / B Treated and Untreated
      sound comparison, the
      listener quite ( 60-70 % of the time) often
      cannot tell any audible
      difference during blind comparison which is
      greater than chance.

      Yet when told about or obliquely pick up some
      inference that a
      namless treatment has been applied the actual
      perception shift is
      towards accurately identifying the treated
      sound..which incidently
      in general magically becomes subjectively
      more ''attractive''.

      Funny thing is it only really works in this
      way when the acoustic
      treatment is applied below the threshold of
      perception of the
      engineer who mastered the particular program
      material. IE he turns
      the effector up it up so that it is just
      perceptable and then
      reduces the level...weird.

      On a tangent if we take the topic inward and
      look at our own
      internal mental synthesised or recalled
      constructs ( mental
      pictures/topographies etc etc) gain there can
      a sense of 3D and the
      perception of most if not all of the senses
      in those constructs.
      This aspect probabely varies from individual
      to individual and may
      be infinitely variable. The aspect of this
      area which intriques me
      is the percevied location of these
      constructs. By this I mean the
      sense of where in space in or around my
      personal ocation such
      constructs appear to locate. IN my case ( and
      this is all I can
      reliabley comment on) I can experience a
      sense of spatial distance
      between what I regard as I ( the looker). SO
      for example if I shut
      my eyes and think of 3d dog I may have the
      sense that this construct
      is located outside my head in the space
      around my body, say a half a
      meter in front of my head. That sense of
      dimension is automatic and
      quite definitely perceptble to me. Im not
      arguing this is the
      location of the construct but wonder why such
      a phenomena would or
      should occur.

      Do others have such experience and more
      general level I wonder what
      dimenstions others have in the experience of
      being themsleves.
      Relatedly I have learned that some people
      cannot hear music or see
      colour in there heads on spontaneous basis.
      When I write music I
      litterally 'hear it first'' usually as a
      complete but I cannot
      coneive a complete poem, only fragments.

      The leads me to observation that we
      constanley inflow perception
      which has the potential of being stored in
      very exact deatil
      according to the feats of those posed of
      great memories.

      In the mind this data apears to be
      processed, evaluated and fed to
      the 'i' constantly in various forms with
      various degress of
      significance. 'I' therefore appears to be
      constanly at the end of an
      unending documentary including news channels,
      religous
      indoctrination, grabage and the occasional
      good idea. The point here
      as I see it is that the 'I' is perhapes a
      lazy voyeur, an MP3 player
      of reality. Im ready for an upgrade.

      LOL musing

      BEst N10

      Your work sounds interesting to me
      --- In existlist@y..., eduard <yeoman@v...>
      wrote:
      > N10,
      >
      > The descriptive term, that I find most
      often for
      > this, is "visual intelligence". But there
      are
      > likely other terms.
      >
      > I am an electrical engineer for Transport
      Canada.
      > I would think that your country would have
      > similar government department that might be
      named
      > "Civil Aviation Authority". My work
      involves
      > signal lighting; specifically that of
      obstruction
      > lighting that serves as visual aid to
      pilots. At
      > times I get into things like visual acuity
      and
      > brain functions related to processing of
      visual
      > signals. I find the whole thing as utterly
      > fascinating. Of course, as an electrical
      > engineer, I tend to think in terms of
      systems and
      > that leads to philosophy.
      >
      > As to sound, all of our senses are subject
      > interpretation. Like the learned response
      of
      > Japanese to hear "r" and "l" as the same
      phonic
      > element. As to 3D, I should think that
      > interpretation of the Doppler affect is a
      learned
      > response.
      >
      > eduard

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      Our Home:
      (Includes community book list, chat, and
      more.)

      TO UNSUBSCRIBE from this group, send an email
      to:

      Yahoo! Terms of Service.