9717Re: neurons and optical illusions

  • mrnavigator10
    Oct 8 1:56 PM
      Hi Eduard

      Thanks for the links Ill follow them up in liesure time

      I find this concept that 3D ness is a bio-electrical construct
      derived from a 2 D rentinal image fascinating to review. Presumabley
      you think 'reality is a 3D construct and that we some how capture a
      facsimile of that reality from 2D rendered data. Im a biologist so I
      have some understanding of the mechanic you describe.

      Do you know of a good description of the nature of this hypothesis
      and also do you consider the same type of mechnisms apply in the
      nature of 3D sound perception..Im fanscinated.

      Best N10

      --- In existlist@y..., eduard <yeoman@v...> wrote:
      > N10,
      > It is not pseudo 3D, but rather a representation
      > of how our brain strives to interpret what is
      > seen. There are specific rules by which these
      > processes occur and which are inherent to human
      > vision.
      > This is another website which shows what is called
      > a "Necker" cube. It is somewhat similar to the
      > blue/yellow
      > http://dogfeathers.com/java/necker.html
      > This cube is animated so that it helps you see the
      > "flip".
      > Another site which shows a number of illusions and
      > thus rules is:
      > http://www.cquest.utoronto.ca/psych/psy380f/C5/sld
      > 036.htm
      > This particular slide #36 shows the Necker cube in
      > the middle. The left and right images are
      > referred to as Kopfermann cubes. These latter
      > images appear to be flat, since specific rules of
      > your brain prevent you from constructing 3D
      > images. In the case of the Kopfermann cube on the
      > left the rule is that lines which come to a point
      > on your retina, continue to remain as forming a
      > point in the interpreted image. Thus your brain
      > maintains the flatness. You have to concentrate
      > really hard to make a cube out of the left hand
      > image.
      > It is less difficult to construct a cube out of
      > the right hand image, since the centre point is
      > broken. But it still takes a bit of
      > concentration.
      > As I mentioned before, everything we see is simply
      > a flat image that is projected on the retina. It
      > is our brain which constructs the idea of
      > something in 3D.
      > eduard
    • Show all 21 messages in this topic