919Re: [existlist] neurons firing: part 2

  • Edward Alf
    Mar 5, 2001
      hi again RL,

      in a sense, science has taken a dominant position ... or perhaps we should
      say that science provides words which are better understood, at least in
      western society ...

      but religion, as we perceive it in hind-sight did have its role ... it
      allowed us to survive ... i use the word "us" in the social sense, since the
      "individual" is a modern concept ... keep in mind that it was the christian
      church which, for all its wrongs, did maintain knowledge through the dark
      ages ...

      and the inquisition was not in a sense wrong ... although it was carried to
      an extreme, especially in spain ... the perpetrators thought with some
      justification that they were doing the right thing ... in that era, the
      torments that were seen as occurring to those who went to hell, were much
      worse than could be done by the inquisition ... thus it was seen as better
      to crush a foot in a vice if this resulted in repentance and avoidance of
      hell ... in this, im not condoning the inquisitions actions, but only
      pointing out that they are explainable ... they have to be looked at in
      terms of the environment at the time, rather than in what we experience
      today ...

      i do not see a world based upon only science ... which is the reason for my
      assertion that the brain is "wired for spirituality" ... regardless of what
      science may bring to our knowledge, there is still a need for something more
      ... what i see happening in the 21st century is a progressive merger of
      science and religion ... my fear is what that religion may be ... with the
      completion of the human gnome project, we are able to "design" ourselves ..
      that is we can become an active participant in our own evolution ... but
      that raises the question of where we would be headed ... who will make the
      decisions on what future humans will be like? ... will we have the sort of
      two level society as detailed in the book, "The Time Machine"? ... that of
      grotesque workers living underground and the beautiful elite on the surface
      who serve as food for the workers? ... at least the christian church
      (regardless of some of its own actions) put forth the premise of loving one
      another ...

      existentialism is one manner of interpretation ... it is based upon man and
      the idea of defining himself through his existence ... Sartre's view was
      that of an atheist ... in my journey to date, im not sure if this is really
      fulfilling of my needs for spirituality ... i would take it that this was
      true for Sartre, but is it true in the common sense of mankind in general
      ... do we need something more ...

      regards