9009RE: [existlist] Re: Wavelengths of light

  • Eduard Alf
    Aug 2 11:22 AM
      click,

      Lets put it this way ....

      Say that we set up an experiment for which persons
      are given the opportunity, of specific short time,
      to select a number of same coloured balls from a
      mixture. The balls are free, but if you drop one,
      then you have to give them all back. We wish to
      know if there is a tendency to select a small
      quantity to ensure meeting the time limit, or will
      people tend to grab as many free balls as possible
      and thus risk dropping one.

      So we have a third party set up the experiment and
      we tell the persons they can select as many "blue"
      balls as they wish.

      Now, it is true that there is a small portion of
      the population which is colour-blind, and there
      can be a variation in visual sensation. But what
      are the chances that this would pose barrier to
      completing the experiment?

      My point is that although there may be variations,
      they are sufficient [or perhaps I should say not
      sufficient] as to prevent a general conclusion.
      If one discusses the act of seeing, from a
      philosophical point of view, then certain
      commonalities need to be accepted, otherwise the
      discussion gets nowhere.