8997Re: Wavelenghts of light

  • clickhereforinsignificance
    Aug 2, 2002
      Eduard,

      << but the majority of people have sufficient commonality in their
      visual capability such that the red that I see is essentially the
      same as what you may see >>

      The rule is that everyone experiences colour slightly differently
      (to varing degrees). I believe where your confusion lays is that you
      believe the experience of specfic colour exists in some universal
      perceptual way.

      Let me explain (hopefully more clearly)

      Three entities exist and are taught that light at 10 to the whatever
      frequency represents blue (something that is an arbitrary starting
      point).

      Let's suppose we have a blue ball on earth (believe it or not I have
      to specify it because under different types of sunlight or
      atmospheric conditions it might appear a different colour.)
      Let suppose a beam of sunlight bounces off it and absorbs the
      necessary light to produce the 10 to the x wavelength we call blue.

      Let suppose it reaches person 1's retina (and I just read that the
      cones and rods should be relatively the same) at that exact frequency
      and the signal to journey to there brain and interpretation is
      exactly the same (unproven) then theoretically they should see it the
      same.

      However......

      The person 2 has there is a slight distortion because of different
      the shapes of cornea and lens that the light must travel through to
      reach the retina (the part which is responsible for the the
      perception of colour). The wavelength is altered slightly so the
      interpretation to the brain is as perhaps a slightly greenish blue.
      This person though is taught that this colour is blue from early
      childhood. So he always thinks of it as blue.

      Person 3 views blue from a different perspective of person one and
      two because the SAME wavelength of light hits his retina(or is
      distorted by it) towards the ultraviolet end of the spectrum. So he
      see's it as a bit purplish.

      How many people wear glasses to correct their vision Eduard?

      As I said before, the rule is we all have slightly different
      perspectives.... with colour blindnesss at the far end of that bell
      curve.

      http://www.preventblindness.org/eye_problems/colorvision.html

      I'm not going to discuss this point further.... believe what you will.

      ~ some people are stubborn too

      --- In existlist@y..., "Eduard Alf" <yeoman@v...> wrote:
      > click,
      >
      > << it's quite well accepted that the optical
      > mechanics of the eye allow for variation in
      > perceptions of colour between human beings >>
      >
      > That may be, but how much variation are we really
      > talking about here?? At least as a basis of
      > discussion in philosophy, one has to accept a
      > certain commonality in human sensation. Sorry if
      > that sounds like a rule, but otherwise we fall
      > into absurdity. Certainly there are those who
      > have color blindness, but the majority of people
      > have sufficient commonality in their visual
      > capability such that the red that I see is
      > essentially the same as what you may see. It does
      > not serve the discussion to bring in exceptions
      > unless this is pertinent to the subject. Afterall
      > if someone here says that it is only a short walk
      > to the store, it is pointless to digress into the
      > possibility that some people cant walk.
      >
      > eduard
    • Show all 25 messages in this topic