      From: Anthony Wetherington
      To: existlist@egroups.com
      Sent: 1/8/2001 11:15 PM
      Subject: Re: [existlist] Re: Hello everybody --Kafka's symbols

      I agree with you comepletely. In order to, how should I say, appreciate

      'the good' one need 'experience' and 'appreciate' 'the bad' in 'life',
      one msun't "commune so long with the dead, that we forget we are
      My criticizm of Kafka lies in the fact that he has the 'American' or
      'Western' tendency to over-emphasize the atrocities or affronts against
      "himself" and/or "his people" i.e. the Judaistic plight. 'The
      is not centrally anti-semite. We are all 'oppressed' and in my personal

      views of existetialist philosophy, at 'odds against ourselves in Nature'
      this thing we choose or choose not to call "Life". When we dwell on the

      one-sidedness of our "existence" it takes away from the 'essence' of our

      "being" in turn causing ourselves to be advocates of the very
      of which we are so concerned with eradicating and preventing future
      occurances of.

      >From: Gareb20@...
      >To: existlist@egroups.com
      >Subject: Re: [existlist] Re: Hello everybody --Kafka's symbols
      >Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 21:55:04 EST
      >Although Existentialism is not very symbolic itself, the literature in
      >is the catalyst for existentialism obviously needs to hold strong
      >order for the reader to relate to the ideas and concepts. In terms of
      >I think his ethnicity or religion does not cloud his perceptions of
      >existence within the context of society, but greatly defines the
      >that the mainstream public cannot percieve becuase of their clouded
      >perspective of being the dominant culture or race.
      >Just some thoughts.

      From The Exist List...
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic