6988Re: The Palestinian Right to Resist

  • james tan
    May 1, 2002
      From: "Christopher Bobo" <cbobo@...>
      To: "faris osman" <frovpt@...>
      CC: "Sayf Fariis" <terence_nunis@...>, "Tan James"
      <tyjfk@...>, "Wisdom Forum" <WisdomForum@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [WisdomForum] Re: The Palestinian Right to Resist
      Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 22:54:54 -0700

      Hello Faris:

      I think you should read some existentialism. You invariably describe
      Palestinians as if they had no freedom of choice and no free will.
      According to you, Arafat had no choice but to sign the Oslo Accords, the
      Palestinians have no choice but to wage war, and that they are forced to
      employ suicide bombings. What's more, they cannot be expected to be bound by
      their treaties and promises, no matter how solemnly they express them. You
      describe the Palestinians as if they are hapless victims, with no free will,
      no moral agency and no responsibility for their actions. This way of
      viewing the world is utterly alien to any Western conception of human
      beings. I have never before encountered such a complete abdication of moral
      responsibility. I believe that people have free will, that they make their
      own moral choices and that they are responsible for what they do. If you
      repudiate the basic foundations for any morality, then truly it is pointless
      to engage in a moral discussion with you.

      Similarly, if you utterly refuse to compromise, which is the essence of
      politics, then there is no point to engage in political discussion with you.
      Politics is, after all, the art of compromise.

      You seemed determined to live in a perfect world where there are no
      compromises, where you are little more than a puppet and where you have no
      responsibility for your actions. I don't think that this is such a world,
      but if that is the world you live in, I really have no power to argue
      against it. Still, it seems to me that you are headed for ruin with such
      beliefs but I am only one imperfect and limited person and you could be
      completely right and it is I who is utterly deluded about reality.

      Still, I wish you well and thank you for this debate. It has been truly
      informative for me, although it has not given me much hope for a peaceful
      and constructive future.

      Respectfully,
      Chris