695Re: [existlist] A Flat Earth

  • Amber Leigh Griffioen
    Aug 8, 2000
      Jack Darach <jack.darach@...> writes:

      > The earth was never flat even if all the people in the world believed
      > it was.They could never have been in a position to act upon their
      > belief...
      > ...And more generally I'd say the truth of a belief is not dependent on
      > collective agreement. They could not act on their belief, and so it
      > was not true.

      Again, the difference between objective and subjective/relative truth. I agree
      with Jack that objective truths exists, and a collective agreement does not
      necessarily mean that agreement is true. I would add, however, that sometimes we
      can only "know" relative truths. (Jack's pirate had not the means to figure out
      the world was round, so he died a sad, disillusioned seafarer.) We are, after
      all, rather enclosed beings, and as much as we think we can explore, there is
      ALWAYS more to discover. We are limited to what we know and what we have the
      means to discover, but we would be hard-pressed to say that much of it is
      objectively true. Perhaps we only believe it to be...

      This is something I've struggled with a lot. Opinions on truth/Truth would be of
      great interest to me. I also would like to hear what you guys think on
      fate/destiny.

      Ciao for now,

      Amber

      "I am no bird; and no net ensnares me; I am a free human being with an
      independent will, which I now exert to leave you." -Jane Eyre
      Amber Griffioen
      griffioe@...
      amber_griffs@...
      http://www.geocities.com/amber_griffs