673RE: [existlist] Digest Number 160

  • C. S. Wyatt
    Jul 22, 2000
      Faith.

      I must agree with Amber (who apparently has enough faith in mankind to post
      her phone number in messages) that faith in its various forms is an action.
      Even remaining with a religion due to your familial background is a choice,
      assuming you are exposed to other ideas.

      I know that I have a faith of some manner, even if not in a creator. I might
      not be able to express this faith, but I do have it. I choose to believe in
      science, while knowing it is flawed. I choose to believe what I see on
      certain news networks, what I read in certain magazines matching my biases.

      We select a faith that supports our biases. Simone said that Sartre spent
      his life trying to defend French culture as logical, since he came from an
      elite family. He had "faith" that he must be better than others -- that even
      his culture must be better.

      Humans are weak. We struggle against our nature each day. Some of us
      struggle more than others, and maybe we do think of ourselves as superior
      for this.

      I have not been as active in this mailing list (despite founding it) or any
      other discussions because I have been pursuing the typical American dream:
      making more money. I own businesses. I am a capitalist pig. I have faith in
      an economic system, knowing it is flawed.

      We see what we want. We have faith because we need to trust something... we
      certainly cannot trust ourselves. Ah, bad faith -- the bane of
      existentialism. I can only try to be authentic, but pure authenticity is
      beyond me. But why can't I believe science is pure? A Creator is pure?
      Something in the universe must be pure!

      Doubts are too complicated. I want to believe in something... but I don't.
      (Then again, Sartre was able to attract women, so there must be a wickedly
      ironic higher power.)

      - C. S. Wyatt
      http://www.tameri.com A site for writers
      http://www.tameri.com/csw My home on the web

      I am what I am at this moment, not what I was and certainly not all that I
      shall be.

      PS: I shall scan eGroups and see what fun is to be found. I am glad people
      are having real discussions.
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic