60294Re: [existlist] RE: The Ice Palace

  • christopher arthur
    Jun 29, 2014
      Perhaps The Ice Palace is more about how death provokes change rather than how it could be itself change.  Certainly Unn's disappearance triggers psychological changes among the living people in the community and in the schoolyard, but the death also seems terminal.

      In the Aeneid, there is a scene where Aeneas travels to the underworld to speak to his deceased father, but I don't suppose that such a journey compares easily to Siss's ritual of rememberance of Unn.  Vesaas seems to be more of a realist than Virgil in the sense that death seems more like deletion rather than relocation.

      On 6/25/2014 10:32 AM, Mary josephson45r@... [existlist] wrote:

      On Tuesday, June 24, 2014 10:31 PM, "Peter ciccariello ciccariello@... [existlist]" <existlist@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      "so the girls were connected through thought. The labyrinthine rooms of the ice palace may have symbolized these more so than stages of life and death."  Absolutely!  And ..."death is change, not absence."   What an oddly comforting thought.

      Peter,

      It would be interesting to reread the passage through the labyrinth again to see if it corresponds to levels of consciousness.

      This morning, contemplation of 'death is change' unexpectedly reminded me of Bryant's Thanatopsis.The poem which still brings tears had a dramatic affect on my thinking as a young woman and has much in common with the changes of nature and death theme of The Ice Palace.