60292Re: [existlist] RE: The Ice Palace

  • Peter ciccariello
    Jun 24, 2014
      "so the girls were connected through thought. The labyrinthine rooms of the ice palace may have symbolized these more so than stages of life and death."  Absolutely!  And ..."death is change, not absence."   What an oddly comforting thought.

      - Peter

      On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 12:31 PM, josephson45r@... [existlist] <existlist@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Hi Chris,

      I'm suggesting that when they looked in the mirror, they connected deeply, presaging how Siss unconsciously, or perhaps even consciously, stayed connected with Unn after her death by mimicking her isolation. Unn was looking for connection, but that doesn't mean she had a death drive or was planning to die. I'm not a grief counselor, but I've heard that survivors will sometimes adopt the demeanor or sensibilities of the departed as a way of staying connected with them or to honor them.

      As for your use of "spirit" there is something to explore. I don't draw a distinction between person and spirit; perhaps we're more like different levels of consciousness, including anything from deliberate thought to dreams. Spirit is thought, so the girls were connected through thought. The labyrinthine rooms of the ice palace may have symbolized these more so than stages of life and death. And when Unn finally "appeared" to Siss in the ice palace, it may have referred to the mirror scene.

      Those moments were frozen in time but also flowed throughout the story as Unn was released into a different state of being and Siss was released into a different way of being through the process of mourning for her friend. If you take out the mirror scene and Siss' vision of Unn in the ice palace, you could argue against transmigration in the special sense of connection or entanglement of thought and being. Vesaas seems to imply that death is change, not absence.

      Mary

      ---In existlist@yahoogroups.com, <chris.arthur1@...> wrote :

      I think maybe you're supposing that Unn's spirit sort of needed someone like Siss, who was well-known and liked by her peers, so to deliver the significance of Unn's disappearance to the community with greater impact.

      Chris

      On 6/14/2014 10:44 AM, josephson45r@... [existlist] wrote:

      Perhaps Vesaas is saying that at this moment of union, when they are the same but different, is when they're lives were merged. Perhaps Siss' way of coping with Unn's death was to unconsciously extend this unity. That moment prefigured Unn's living on in Siss but through Siss's outgoing and connected way of living, a way which she felt was forever closed to her.