60240RE: Re: [existlist] Anyone out there?

  • jimstuart51
    Nov 21 1:25 PM

      Hi Mary & Peter,

      It is good to receive your posts out of the blue – I still get email notification of Existlist posts – but it is on an email account I don’t check very often.

      Yes it is a shame Yahoo and the spammers make it so difficult to hold a spontaneous yet insightful conversation. I have learned a lot and benefitted greatly from the many posts on Existlist over the years.

      I have been struggling with a book written by a friend (“Chewing the Cud” by John Taylor) on an imaginary conversation between Socrates and Alcibiades in which Alcibiades introduces the  philosophical ideas of Friedrich Nietzsche. I didn’t really get on with the book, but it inspired me to go back to Nietzsche himself and I re-read “On the Genealogy of Morals”.  Nietzsche is one of my favourite philosophers, and every time I go back to him I seem to discover fresh insights and nuances in his thinking.

      I also read “The Cambridge Companion to Nietzsche” which I greatly enjoyed. In particular I thought the four essays in Part 3 (by Richard Schacht, Robert Solomon, Alexander Nehamas and Robert Pippin) were brilliant.

      I am now reading the first Part of Charles Taylor’s epic “Sources of the Self”. This is one of my favourite philosophy books – it took me about three months to read it first time around. I am re-reading the first part as I am trying to sort out my thoughts on Personal Identity with a view to presenting them at our local Philosophy Group.

      I note what you have both been reading – given Peter’s high praise, I’ll seek out “The Ice Palace” by Tarjei Vesaas“The Ice Palace” by Tarjei Vesaas“The Ice Palace” by Tarjei Vesaas.

      ---In existlist@yahoogroups.com, <ciccariello@...> wrote:

      Hi Mary, still listening.... glad to see we still exist. :) Nothing really existential ...I have been reading Haruki Murakami I really love his subtle brand of magical realism. One exceptionally fine short story “Town of cats” is available online http://www.newyorker.com/.../09/05/110905fi_fiction_murakami
      But I recently read perhaps the most poignant and beautiful book that I have read in my entire lifetime. “The Ice Palace” by Tarjei Vesaas, his fascinatingly economy of style and his ability to weave a spell of magic throughout this short book is nothing short of brilliant. But beware if you read it, it will haunt you forever.

      - Peter

      On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 4:08 PM, Mary <josephson45r@...> wrote:
      What have any of you been reading lately? Anything existentialist related? I've been enjoying Charles DIckens (Hard Times, Our Mutual Friend), Dostoevsky (The Idiot), Richard Wright (haiku) but taking a break from Sartre and Hegel. My son is reading Camus' The Stranger, so I'm looking forward to his critique.

      It would be a shame for this community to end simply because of Yahoo. But hey, if I can adjust at my age, anyone can!

      New work gallery - http://invisiblenotes.blogspot.com/
      Poetry and writing - http://poemsfromprovidence.blogspot.com/

      You can find my art and writing updates on Twitter
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic