60229RE: Detrimental to democracy?

  • existlist
    Sep 20, 2013

      Mary,

      I was watching this David Graeber video a day or so ago and suddenly today it hit me that

      he sort of addresses some of your questions here.

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eR_95slEFw

      @hermitcrab

      --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, <existlist@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Today, I suspect that Kierkegaard, Nietzsche, Heidegger, and Sartre have each in their unique way accelerated the demise of democracy. Nietzsche most clearly with his disdain for democracy; Kierkegaard with his isolationist Christianity; Heidegger with his Fatherland; and Sartre through his turn to Stalin and Mao. Though not as radically subjectivist as nihilists or postmodernists, they've been complicit in the creation of cynicism, apathy, and self-centeredness within a burgeoning corporate aristocracy. Where are our representatives in the corridors of power? Who bothers to vote? Who bothers to let their representatives hear their opinions, and why don't representatives vote their constituency? I know I haven't made a clear connection between existentialism and democracy but hoping someone can argue this. I'm disgusted with our obstructionist U.S. Congress but very anxious about their eagerness to embroil us in the Syrian and growing Middle Eastern conflagration.  Mary
    • Show all 23 messages in this topic