60124Re: Sartre, Arendt and Pettit on freedom

  • Herman Triplegood
    Aug 5, 2013
      That all makes sense to me. I have played the role of technician for about 28 years and all along it was not just for my own good, a paycheck, but also for the good of the customers who got the service and the shareholders who financed, and made money from, the corporations. I have been a member of five different corporations while working in the same physical location over a period of ten years. But I really work, not for the corporation, but for the network, which is why each corporation, as they come along, picks me to continue to take care of what I know best and what they rely upon the most to prop up their fortunes.

      Sooner or later, one gets too old or too tired to work, or, one just knows, deep inside one's heart, that time for working has passed and that it is now time to do something completely different.

      Plans may change.

      hb3g

      > Mary,
      >
      > I can agree with both you and Sartre on this. However – and perhaps you would agree with me – that people do take on particular roles does help society to run smoothly. Adults need to take on different tasks and responsibilities to ensure our communal needs are met. We need those who produce food, those who sell it, we needs doctors, school teachers, builders, engineers, nurses, people to give children love and attention, etc., etc.
      >
      > I suppose one element in a free society is that adults get a genuine choice as to which roles they take on. And arguably our society is more free in this respect than were Western societies when Sartre was writing. Women in particular have more freedom of choice than they had one hundred years ago.
      >
      > Arguably the poor get less room for choice than the rich, so a more equal society (in terms of wealth and power distribution), the more free the society. And education is important too in giving young adults a wider range of choices.
      >
      > Choosing and sticking to roles is not bad in itself, as you say the problems for freedom occur when people identify their very being with their role or when people are forced to assume certain roles against their will.
      >
      > Jim

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic