      From: Mary
      Sent: Thursday, July 18, 2013 11:35 AM
      To: existlist@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [existlist] The point of bad faith

      I agree that important ideas should be presented clearly but also understand the difficulty of unraveling centuries, if not millennia, of confusion and complexity. It's no easy task to unlearn, yet once accomplished concepts seem simple to understand.

      For example, Sartre meant to contrast Descartes' "Cogito ergo sum" with his own understanding which is: I doubt, therefore I am. He needed to show that belief in what we think about ourselves is not actually belief but rather doubt or troubled belief—bad faith.

      If the translators rendered mauvaise as 'faulty' or 'poor', or Sartre had used words which translate 'conflicted,' 'confused,' or even 'divided' for an understanding of ourselves, these might have helped. By explaining the ontological structure of consciousness, he might show where the difficulties lie.

      If we eliminate our association of evil or monstrous with 'bad' and stay true to the spirit of Sartre's text, we'll pay closer attention to his use of 'faith.' When he says we are nothing if we don't play at being, he indicates we play *because* we doubt. We're uncertain that we are what we do. We're conflicted; we reject and accept. We deny and embrace. Sartre is trying to contrast essence with existence. Remember, freedom is his highest value.