60079Re: Bad Faith And The Other (Jonathan Webber) 2010

    Jul 18 9:27 AM
      Here are two statements from Webber's paper which I think fairly represent our contrasting views at this point.

      "Sartre has been accused of being unfair to waiters, for example, and indeed of showing through this vignette a condescending and demeaning attitude towards working people in general (Phillips 1981)." There don't seem to be any free versions of D.Z. Phillips work on line, but you can probably obtain it through a university student who has access.

      "We will see that Sartre's use of these examples is compatible with his overall philosophical theory after all. He does not consider the overt behaviour of these characters to show that they are in bad faith, but rather considers it to be equally compatible with the recognition and affirmation of our lack of any fixed nature."

      This is more what I think and shows that we can hold incoherent thoughts about our being, and the example of the waiter begins to look this way. In other words, he knows and chooses to play at being a waiter precisely because he knows that is not what he is. The example is a universal one and not a singling out of the waiter as a failure. Bad faith is a universal condition according to Sartre. The example of the waiter now seems one of negating an essence (a waiter as an in-itself) for one of existence (human for it-self). It is remains a troubled belief, because the waiter doesn't feel free to quit. So while he may be responsible, he isn't responsible for his freedom.