60067Un/aware

    Jul 15, 2013
      Think I'm getting a better handle on eduard's objection. It involves how one can be aware and self-deceiving at the same time. What I understand so far from "Being and Nothingness" is that the choice to become what we are not yet is the choice which eludes our bad faith or incorrect belief toward our possibility. So it might be that the waiter who plays at being the waiter is aware that he is role playing knowing full well he is more than a waiter but not aware that he can be what this other is.

      This is the other Wikipedia entry eduard offered...

      ~Sartre cites a café waiter, whose movements and conversation are a little too "waiter-esque". His voice oozes with an eagerness to please; he carries food rigidly and ostentatiously; "his movement is quick and forward, a little too precise, a little too rapid". His exaggerated behaviour illustrates that he is play acting as a waiter, as an object
      in the world: an automaton whose essence is to be a waiter. But that he is obviously acting belies that he is aware that he is not (merely) a waiter, but is rather consciously deceiving himself.

      Another of Sartre's examples involves a young woman on a first date. She ignores the obvious sexual implications of her date's compliments to her physical appearance, but accepts them instead as words directed at her as a human consciousness. As he takes her hand, she lets it rest indifferently in his, "neither consenting nor resisting - a thing" -
      refusing either to return the gesture or to rebuke it. Thus she delays the moment when she must choose either to acknowledge and reject his advances, or submit to them. She conveniently considers her hand only a thing in the world, and his compliments as unrelated to her body, playing on her dual human reality as a physical being, and as a
      consciousness separate and free from this physicality.

      Sartre tells us that by acting in bad faith, the waiter and the woman are denying their own freedom, but actively using this freedom itself. They manifestly know they are free but do not acknowledge it. Bad faith is paradoxical in this regard: when acting in bad faith, a person is both aware and, in a sense, unaware that they are free.~