60011Transcendent ego

    Jul 3, 2013
      Now we get to another difficult concept, that of the transcendent ego. I plan to study this more, but it seems Sartre proposed the ego as not part of consciousness. It resides 'in the world' or outside ourselves but not as a material object. It belongs to the world in the way of being In-itself. So it's not the ego which is our personal subjective self; our For-itself is a nothingness free to choose contra the ego. Any help here is appreciated.

      > Eduard,
      >
      > You write:
      >
      > "Each time you seek to be aware of your consciousness in total, you have to use part of it to be conscious of it."
      >
      > I don't agree with what you say here.
      >
      > You seem to be assuming the subject of consciousness is part of the conscious experience, but I don't think it is.
      >
      > So the analogy with the film crew breaks down. The film crew is part of the material reality, but the subject of a conscious experience is not part of that conscious experience.
      >
      > Jim

      > > I appreciate your thankyou, Jim.
      > >
      > > My point was that in order to be conscious of your consciousness [in this I am using “consciousness” in totality], the only tool that you have is consciousness. Each time you seek to be aware of your consciousness in total, you have to use part of it to be conscious of it. If one proposes a further consciousness of being conscious of consciousness, the same tool is being used. Ultimately you end up with an infinite regression of consciousnesses in order to be conscious of consciousness. It does lead to an absurdity, although I prefer to say it is an impossibility, because it is impossible to exit from yourself. The extension of the jungle skit would be an infinite number film crews, unless you can [as Sartre seems to] somehow identify the nth film crew as the last. I don’t think there is a “last” as long as the question is asked ... who is filming this?
      > >
      > > eduard

    • Show all 171 messages in this topic