600Poetry

  • Rajiv Pande
    Jan 16, 2000
      Dear Charles,
      Your points taken. All I meant was that poetry gives us an opportunity to express ideas in a way that is in not expressible through prose. If it were, there would be nothing special about poetry. I have read a bit of William Blake, and I find that he seems to have the genius to express extremely abstract concepts in simple form. To describe what he describes through prose would probably need 10 pages for a one page poem, and that too as only an approximation to the original truth.
      If this is not transcendence, subtlety and abstraction, I don't know what is.
      OOPS, no, no, Charles, I don't mean to impose at all, I just reacted reflexively in defense of a dying art form.
      Regards and apologies
      Rajiv

      [This message contained attachments]
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic