59997Re: observation

  • Jim
    Jul 2, 2013
      Chris,

      Thank you for your post.

      You capture very well the `essence' of existentialism – if I may use a word existentialists generally don't like. This is certainly the central core of the existentialist outlook.

      However there are many other areas of human existence that existentialists explore and have interesting things to say about. The nature of conscious experience is certainly a topic existentialists have explored in detail – particularly Heidegger and Sartre.

      Jim

      --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, christopher arthur <chris.arthur1@...> wrote:

      > Here is just an observation about the conversations recently.
      >
      > After reading my book introducing existentialism, it seems to me that
      > the most important issue philosophically about existentialism are that
      > man is free, but it is a responsibility that he has; moreover, life has
      > no meaning but what man decides that it should have. Also, how he puts
      > meaning into his life should be authentic above all else. He should try
      > to live like a noble person and not like a slave or a member hidden in a
      > crowd.
      >
      > To fuss so much about how to say what consciousness is seems to be
      > missing a lot of the important points.
      >
      > Chris

    • Show all 171 messages in this topic