59960"Time is the fire in which we burn"

    Jun 24, 2013
      eduard,

      I recall you said this to Bill not long before he died, and Bill was certainly someone who knew how to burn. This line excised from Delmore Schwartz's poem incompletely expresses the poet's attitude toward death, and certainly doesn't convey his anguish. The point is to be "Ravished entirely...May memory restore again and again, The smallest color of the smallest day:"

      The children shouting are bright as they run
      (This is the school in which they learn ...)
      Ravished entirely in their passing play!
      (... that time is the fire in which they burn.)

      Each minute bursts in the burning room,
      The great globe reels in the solar fire,
      Spinning the trivial and unique away.
      (How all things flash! How all things flare!)
      What am I now that I was then?
      May memory restore again and again
      The smallest color of the smallest day:
      Time is the school in which we learn,
      Time is the fire in which we burn.

      For the full poem see: http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/171344

      Time is the fire in which we burn. You are going to die ... get over it. The entire universe is dying.
    • Show all 171 messages in this topic