59946Re: thought of non-existence is freeing

    Jun 19, 2013
      Thought is required to describe qualiaThe experience in-itself doesn't require words, but words require thought for description, which then makes an experience for-itself.

      There is type of poetry, sheer utterance or stream of consciousness, which may avoid thought in its creation. In order to hear or read it, however, thought is evoked. The creative process may be free of thought, but the reception is not. Even extremely non-structured visual poetry which intentionally means to prohibit cognition may fail in preventing thought in its reader. If it invokes feeling only, it nevertheless fails to prevent the work's thoughtful reception and critique which is after all what an artist probably desires.

      Instrumental music, however, is probably an exception. It is an exceptional piece of music which stops my thought for any length of time.

      Anything visual, with possibly the exception of a Tarkovsky or Malick film with little or no dialogue, stimulates my thoughts. Dreamless sleep is immune from description, if there is such a state, wherein nothingness would be appreciated if only I were aware to appreciate it. Dreamless sleep, death, and unconsciousness are examples of nothingness which defy description although words are assigned to them. We can't experience them.

      Mary