59943thought of non-existence is freeing

  • hermit crab
    Jun 19, 2013
      (quote from someone in Texas, I presume.)
      Now, our minds gain insight into something only by contrasting it with its
      negation. Thus we understand being only through the concept of nothing, the
      rational through the non-rational, etc. This is even more true of what we
      know through feeling. Such knowledge becomes more sharply etched and
      poignant by contrast with that of its absence or its opposite. Thus our
      feeling for health becomes more intense when we have experienced sickness,
      our sense for freedom sharper and clearer when we have seen something of
      slavery at first hand. It is in this way, according to Heidegger, that the
      thought of my non-existence brings into sharp relief the essential meaning
      of my existence.

      ===I was reading along here, reached the quoted paragraph above and was
      thinking that this particular paragraph sums up the way the simple idea of
      not existing seems to release a load of mental baggage and elicit a LIVE
      and FREE mental state. It must be why conversation goes in that direction.
      Humans yearn to be alive and free even if in thought only :
      https://webspace.utexas.edu/emc597/existentialism.html

      I see the value in reading dead philosophers but see much more value in
      putting into words the LIVE experience happening as it happens. I also see
      the value of not adopting any system at all. Once a system is adopted,
      limits and boundaries form, and stagnation and death of a free and living
      entity happens.

      Science of all kinds helps form generalizations about our existence but so
      far it doesn't begin to capture rich individual qualitative experience.

      hc