59910Re: [existlist] Re: was brain drain/ thought

  • eduardathome
    Jun 15, 2013
      Jim,

      Can the experience really be described without reference to neurological
      processes?? If you avoid neurological processes, then you are correct, but
      surely the only thing you can say about a coffee sip is that it is a sip or
      perhaps that it tastes good. However, the description ends there. If one
      were to fully describe the experience you would have to include that the
      taste buds provide a signal to the brain which then makes a determination of
      bitter against sweet.

      Granted, it is possible to extend the description to a wealth words. I am
      thinking in terms of wine tasting. Thousands of books are written about it
      and it is practically an industry in itself. All without speaking about
      neural processes. But if one were to set out to describe what it is as an
      experience to taste wine it would seem reasonable to say that that this
      should include how the body actually does the tasting.

      I suppose it comes down to what is meant by "description". Perhaps it is
      sufficient to say that my coffee tasted like the recent oil change for my
      car, and leave it at that.