      From: Jim
      Sent: Monday, May 27, 2013 7:13 AM
      To: existlist@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [existlist] Re: more nothing

      Mary,

      Yes, I agree that struggling with the central text is the best thing to do,
      although with a Hegel or a Sartre it is going to be a long struggle - years
      rather than weeks!

      I have not actually read any Sartre (apart from some of the novels), but I
      had thought he was more accessible than Hegel. I do hope to read "Being and
      Nothingness" at some stage, but as he is partly responding to what Hegel
      wrote, my aim is to make more progress with Hegel first.

      I'm not sure if there is a clear difference between being a metaphysical
      thinker rather than an existentialist. Although traditionally Hegel is not
      bracketed with the existentialists, as Wil has pointed out, there are lines
      of connections between all these European philosophers. They were wrestling
      with the same issues: issues to do with our place in the world, our freedom,
      our relationships with others.

      I look forward to continuing to struggle with these issues and to continue
      to discuss them on this forum.

      Jim