59727Re: [existlist] Re: shaping nothing

  • eduardathome
    Apr 30, 2013
      It doesn't bother me ... I am only asking questions to start the discussion.

      I would take it that "nothingness" is not the "nothingness" of "why is there
      something rather than nothing?"

      The nothingness is Sartre's "Néant" which I suppose could be the same as
      "ne-étant" ... the non-being. It is always a problem when French or other
      language is translated into English. Like the translation of the title of
      Sartre's other book ... "Huis-clos" ... as "No Exit" whereas it has nothing
      to do with exits albeit one could think in terms of an escape.

      Anyway, it seems to me that the Néant is only a device to expand upon a
      person's starting point before he/she starts playing a role. But we all
      play roles since the "playing" is what we decide or choose to do. That is,
      to act in a certain fashion. But such a state is a fiction, since our
      brains are always making choices. That is the role of the brain. You would
      have to be brain dead to be in a state of nothingness. Perhaps it is closer
      to the Buddhist nothingness although I would suggest that even then you
      don't have nothing on your mind, but rather a focus on particular behaviour
      which is not distracted by other thoughts.

      Is the Néant important?? Perhaps as a device, but otherwise it may not
      truly exist as a mental state at least until the baby becomes aware of their
      outer world.