59703Re: Existentialism...correction

    Apr 22, 2013
      Should have said free will rather than freedom since I bothered to make the distinction in a previous post. I don't know anyone who acts thinking they're programmed and helpless to make decisions when there are genuine options available. Of course we also need an environment in which certain freedoms are guaranteed in order to exercise whatever free will we think we have.

      > What I love about Sartre's existentialism is that we are not completely bound by either formulas or genetic determination. If we think that we are, then we are not free to create our essence. It's probably more accurate to say we have some freedom and live as if we do.
      >
      > Mary
      >
      > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "existlist" <hermitcrab65@> wrote:
      > >

      > > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, eduardathome <yeoman@> wrote: But even if you thought about it, your criteria for
      > > > thinking is also a matter of programming, so the possibility of free will
      > > > becomes questionable. Perhaps the only person who can have free will is a
      > > > new-born baby.
      > >
      > > ===Or a zygote because a new-born baby already has genes expressing themselves. Maybe that's why Herman Polly was a_zygote on this list a few years back. I remember he/she did not believe in the concept of a 'self'.
      > >
      > > h.

    • Show all 67 messages in this topic